Grinding up Mother Nature’s Stairmaster
The Grouse Grind® is a 2.9-kilometre trail up the face of Grouse Mountain, commonly referred to as “Mother Nature’s Stairmaster.”
I know now why they call it the Grouse Grind. Just like in life, I had to go one step at the time. There were choices to be made. Should I stop and rest here like these guys or should I keep going? Should I slow down? Steady pace and focus were the words I kept repeating in my head. Each step needed to be planned as the terrain was uneven and the height of each step was different just like each step we take in order to reach our goals in life.
Some poeple would pass me and I would pass some others. Everybody had their own rhythm and own goals.
There was a girl, young and fit looking, stopped on the side, typing on her blackberry, distracted by her emails. Loss of focus. I thought I would chose Health over technology. There was a family coaching their kids up each rock. Teaching them tenacity and courage!
There was so many different languages spoken on the way up, I probably heard at least 4 different ones. All nationalities. All ages. All different times on their watch. One constant: persistence. Only one way up. Everybody will get there! Every body will feel that great feeling of acheivement at the top regardless of the time it took or how many times they’d done it before.
My challenge lasted 58 minutes. My feeling of accomplishment will last forever!
Taking on a challenge is a rewarding experience. Just do it! Whatever it is that you want accomplished. Don’t just be. Be your best! One step at the time!
- Length: 2.9 kilometres (1.8 miles)
- Elevation Gain: 853 metres (2,800 feet)
- Base: 274 metres above sea level (900 feet)
- Summit: 1,127 metres (3,700 feet)
- Total Stairs: 2,830
- Statistics: Annually, over 100,000 people hike the trail.
- Average Time: On average it takes up to an hour and a half to complete the hike. For novice hikers, two hours is recommended.
- Participants: Hikers range in age from 7 to 90, with an equal male/female split.